[xmonad] Home page redesign

Jesús Guerrero i92guboj at terra.es
Mon Jul 7 18:55:31 EDT 2008

Hello,

On Mon, 07 Jul 2008 12:45:22 -0700
Jeremy Shaw <jeremy at n-heptane.com> wrote:

>  - serving xhtml as application/xml+xhtml does not work with konqueror
>    or IE (and probably lynx and links)

[...snip...]
>     - you are completely fine with the page not being viewable at all
>       with konqueror, ie, links, lynx, and several other browsers.

I would also be interested in knowing the downsides of using xhtml.

I wouldn't say that xhtml is "not viewable at all" on konqueror or IE. I have
designed some small sites in xhtml 1.1 and I have found no problem (other than
IE being completely idiotic about CSS, png and a few other standards that it
likes to break and can be somewhat worked around.

So, any links and extra info would be appreciated. The first one you provide
is a nice document explaining why incorrect xhtml code will not work. But that
is like complaining because incorrect C code will not compile, or better yet,
like to complain because gcc will not compile c++ code. The reason is simple
enough: it's a C compiler, not a C++ one.

I have heard of this a few times, but no one actually took the time to explain
it in a sane way.

As an example, you can check this site I am designing (it's a basic template
and something experimental, but it's just an example). The relevant pieces of
my xhtml files are these:

======================
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC '-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1//EN' 'http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd'><html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" xml:lang="es">

<head>
=======================

Which is xhtml 1.1. This web is not only "viewable", but also fully working
in all the listed browsers (at the end of the main page): 6.x and 7.x, IE,
konqueror 3.x and 4.x, arora, firerox, opera and links (in both -g and text)
without a single problem (other than links not being css aware).

All the pages are generated using php and they do validate ok against xhtml 1.1
and css 2.1. So, in my experience, if the code is correct, it works.

Sorry for invading the thread.

Kind regards :)
--
Jesús Guerrero <i92guboj at terra.es>