[xmonad] The future of PerWorkspace

Andrea Rossato mailing_list at istitutocolli.org
Thu Jan 31 13:07:56 EST 2008

On Thu, Jan 31, 2008 at 12:29:55PM -0500, Brent Yorgey wrote:
> But it's not just about messages; we'd also need doLayoutInWorkspace and
> emptyLayoutInWorkspace.  In particular xinerama support would not work
> without those.  Since PerWorkspace is the only layout that could possibly
> use this information, adding three new methods to the LayoutClass just for
> this is almost certainly not the way to go.

Ok, so, if I get it right, you are proposing to go back to existential
and everything just because you think it is wrong to extend a class,
which, I was told, is just something you can extend without breaking
what is built upon it.

All this because you suppose PerWorspace is the only one that *may* be
using a non pure combinator.

Well, just today Joachim was asking for something like a combinator,
implemented as another hook.

Brent, even though I really like your code, I must confess I *totally*
disagree with your design principles.

Cheers,
Andrea