[xmonad] new decoration framework status

Valery V. Vorotyntsev valery.vv at gmail.com
Mon Jan 28 08:51:53 EST 2008

Hi, Andrea,

On 1/28/08, Andrea Rossato <mailing_list at istitutocolli.org> wrote:
> I checked and ported almost all instances of LayoutClass except:
>
> - XMonad.Layout.MultiToggle: I never used it, I don't have a clear
>   idea of what is supposed to do so I'm reluctant to touch code I
>   don't know.
>
> - XMonad.Layout.PerWorkspace: I've never used and I must confess I
>   don't understand layout combinators very well, so the same of the
>   above..;) But I'm sure Brent can do that in a second.

I put a browser at Full layout. `PerWorkspace' enables Full for my
"browser-dedicated" workspace. This saves a couple of keystrokes. :)

According to [sporadically updated] xmonad config arghive, all three
modules have their users:

# users  module
      1  XMonad.Layout.MultiToggle
      4  XMonad.Layout.PerWorkspace
      3  XMonad.Layout.ToggleLayouts

> - XMonad.Layout.ToggleLayouts: I didn't have time but I came to read
>   David's code quite well (moreover I've already hacked David's
>   combinators and ported LayoutCombinators), so that's very easy and
>   I'll do that shortly (before pushing anyway).

The script used to extract statistics (one may call it `user-survey.sh' ;)

#!/bin/sh
hawiki="http://www.haskell.org"
for url in $(wget -qO - $hawiki/haskellwiki/Xmonad/Config_archive | \
             grep '0\.5' | sed -re 's/^.*href="([^"]+).*$/\1/' \
	     -e "s@^@$hawiki@" | grep '\.hs$'); do
  mod="$(wget -qO- $url | grep -E 'MultiToggle|PerWorkspace|ToggleLayouts' | \
         sed -r 's/^.*> *(.*)$/\1/')"
  [ -n "$mod" ] && echo "${url##*/}: $mod"
done

Brent_Yorgey%27s_xmonad.hs: XMonad.Layout.ToggleLayouts
XMonad.Layout.PerWorkspace
vvv%27s_xmonad.hs: XMonad.Layout.PerWorkspace
Ray%27s_xmonad.hs: XMonad.Layout.PerWorkspace
Xilon%27s_xmonad.hs: XMonad.Layout.PerWorkspace
skorpan%27s_xmonad.hs: XMonad.Layout.ToggleLayouts
cce_xmonad.hs: XMonad.Layout.ToggleLayouts
entropies_xmonad.hs: XMonad.Layout.MultiToggle

Have fun!

--
vvv