[xmonad] darcs patch: Config.hs: rm "Toggle the status bar gap... (and 3 more)

Spencer Janssen sjanssen at cse.unl.edu
Mon Jan 7 12:45:27 EST 2008

On Mon, Jan 07, 2008 at 11:25:14AM -0500, gwern0 at gmail.com wrote:
> Mon Jan  7 11:17:16 EST 2008  gwern0 at gmail.com
>   * Config.hs: rm "Toggle the status bar gap" binding
>   Per  my discussion with Roundy in the thread '[xmonad] automatically generating template xmonad.hs if it doesn't exist'. Not very useful: " I'm not too sure about this one. If you're using an uncustomized totally standard XMonad, are you also going to be using a status bar? More to the point, would you be using a statusbar *and* also be wanting to toggle on/off the status bar? (Which is what this does if I understand it.)"

It is true that mod-b is a no-op in the default configuration.  However, once a
user sets some status gaps, they'll immediately want to use this feature.
Requiring the user to copy this keybinding makes configuration needlessly
difficult.

> Mon Jan  7 11:19:36 EST 2008  gwern0 at gmail.com
>   * Config.hs: rm dmenu and gmrun default bindings
>   See previous patch: "I'm not too sure about this one. If you're using an uncustomized totally standard XMonad, are you also going to be using a status bar? More to the point, would you be using a statusbar *and* also be wanting to toggle on/off the status bar? (Which is what this does if I understand it.)"

The dmenu binding will stay -- users must be able to launch programs out of the
box.  Perhaps we can remove the gmrun binding, does anyone actually use it?

> Mon Jan  7 11:21:00 EST 2008  gwern0 at gmail.com
>   * Config.hs: rm 'refresh' keybinding
>   See previous patches: "And how often does one need to manually refresh? We recommend using a good terminal emulator like urxvt, so that's that, and I can't think of any others that'd benefit. Does anyone actually use this often? Then it might be better for them to add refresh to a hook."

I'm ambivalent on this one.  It is rarely needed, but it is important when you
do need it.

> Mon Jan  7 11:23:57 EST 2008  gwern0 at gmail.com
>   * Config.hs: implement my suggestion to make 'n' bind to next window

We already have several bindings for this -- it seems counter to your "war on
keybindings" to add a third binding to the same action :P

Cheers,
Spencer Janssen