[xmonad] automatically generating template xmonad.hs if it doesn't exist

Thomas Adam thomas.adam22 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 4 17:24:26 EST 2008

Hello --

On 04/01/2008, gwern0 at gmail.com <gwern0 at gmail.com> wrote:
> # Does it *have* to be mod1Mask? It makes more sense to steal Alt than Ctrl, I'll grant, but stealing the useless Windows is even better since even fewer apps use that; I notice that there are at least 4 or 5 configs on the wiki which change mod1Mask to mod4Mask.

I'd argue yes, seeing as the Windows key is not a ubiquitous key on
all keyboards.  Leaving it as Alt, whilst potentially annoying for
some users, is tough, IMO.  :)

> # Maybe change the default border colors. Looking through the configs, I don't see much consistency though.

Maybe, but that's horses for courses, since no two colours are ever
going to please everyone; it distills down to having to choose two
colours as the default, chosen by the person who wrote the template at
the time.

> # Random note on configs: they seem to either be long or short, with all the long ones doing complex stuff with Dzen; I don't use Dzen and don't entirely understand what they are doing, but it looks pretty repetitious. This seems like a fruitful area to examine for abstracting and factoring out stuff. Similar comments apply with Xmobar, although the situation doesn't seem as bad there.

The Dzen configs from within XMonad have gotten *much* easier with the
0.5 release.

-- Thomas Adam