[xmonad] Re: Proposal: Advanced Scratchpad-Features

Braden Shepherdson Braden.Shepherdson at gmail.com
Thu Feb 28 22:28:13 EST 2008

Dominik Bruhn wrote:
> Hy,
> I recently found the Scratchpad on the Mailinglist (thanks, Braden for this).
> But, im missing two features:
> 1. Is it possible to hide the scratchpad (not close, only hide) with the same
> hotkey? So if I press the Hotkey once the scratchpad apears and another hit it
> disapears and I can recall it with the same hotkey.
> 2. Can the scratchpad made visible on all workspaces? So if I switch my
> workspace it stays visilbe and I can recall (with 1.) the same scratchpad
> everywhere?
>
> The reason for this is: I want to start a musicplayer (mocp or something like
> this) in the scratchpad and want to view it on every workspace im on.
>
> Is this possible?
>
> Thanks

First, glad to see it's appreciated!

I'm going to start tonight on the first part. That's fairly
straightforward, though I need to extract some primitive operations from
WindowBringer first. mod+s (or whatever key you prefer) would work for
all three actions: spawn if it doesn't exist, hide if visible, summon if
hidden.

The only question there is the precise semantics. If the scratchpad is
on some other workspace, does mod+s hide it or summon? Summon, I think.
If it's on the current workspace and not focused? Trickier. Thoughts?
I'll probably lean towards hiding it unless many people say otherwise.
It seems to me that if it's on-screen, mod+s means "Stop covering my
windows!"

This would all be with one, persistent scratchpad, which I think is a
big win.

The second part is more difficult. Both byorgey and I seem to recall a
contrib module that did this appear-on-all-workspaces. One ugly solution
is to unmanage it and have it exist as a form of status bar.

Does anyone know that module? Is it an unapplied patch floating around
somewhere? It seems odd that two people would think the same thing
exists if it actually doesn't.

Braden Shepherdson
shepheb