[xmonad] can one create layouts with fixed height or width for windows

Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH allbery at ece.cmu.edu
Thu Feb 28 13:47:56 EST 2008

On Feb 28, 2008, at 13:43 , Mark Goldman wrote:

>>  LayoutHints can help with that.
>>  http://xmonad.org/xmonad-docs/xmonad-contrib/XMonad-Layout-
>> LayoutHints.html
>>
>>  Maybe you could get LayoutHints to solve your problem
>>  with text editors, too, setting an X property on the editor
>>  window or something.
> I've googled around for a while now and cannot figure out how to set
> things like the minimum and maximum size hints for a window.  Does
> such a utility exist?

Not in general, and I would expect applications to behave really
badly if something altered its sizehints without its knowledge or
consent.  (Heck, how many applications misbehave when a window
manager ignores their size hints and tells them so, as permitted by
ICCCM?)

MIT has a tool "nawm" which *might* be able to do this kind of thing;
I have had difficulty tracking it down though.

system administrator [openafs,heimdal,too many hats] allbery at ece.cmu.edu