[xmonad] Re: New keybinding parser

Brent Yorgey byorgey at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 09:08:40 EST 2008

On Tue, Feb 26, 2008 at 11:16 PM, Braden Shepherdson <
Braden.Shepherdson at gmail.com> wrote:

> One handy use of this that occurred to me (I'm not sure if this is
> possible under the original system) is to have "namespaces" of sorts. I
> wanted to add a bunch of "execute this app" (or maybe runOrRaise) key
> bindings, but a lot of keys were taken when just using mod and
> mod+shift. Now I can use
> M-x f   for Firefox
> M-x t   for Thunderbird
> M-x p   for Pidgin
> and so on. I think of this as using M-x as a namespace for execute, and
> then I have all 26 letters and all 10 numbers free to launch whatever
> apps I like.

Yup, this was possible before, as Roman pointed out -- indeed, the
keybinding parser uses XMonad.Actions.Submap under the hood -- but now it's
super-easy.  In fact, after switching all my keybindings over, I went and
changed a bunch of them into submaps -- I have a lot of keybindings, so it's
a lot nicer with submaps (easier to remember, too), but I hadn't bothered
before since it would have been more of a pain to change.

For anyone else reading who'd like to try this out, I just uploaded my
current xmonad.hs<http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/Xmonad/Config_archive/Brent_Yorgey%27s_darcs_xmonad.hs>to
the wiki which you can use as an example.  Looks like oxymor00n
has done the same<http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/Xmonad/Config_archive/oxymor00n%27s_xmonad.hs>
.

-Brent