[xmonad] Re: New keybinding parser

Roman Cheplyaka roma at ro-che.info
Wed Feb 27 00:04:20 EST 2008

* Braden Shepherdson <Braden.Shepherdson at gmail.com> [2008-02-26 23:16:24-0500]
> One handy use of this that occurred to me (I'm not sure if this is
> possible under the original system) is to have "namespaces" of sorts. I
> wanted to add a bunch of "execute this app" (or maybe runOrRaise) key
> bindings, but a lot of keys were taken when just using mod and
> mod+shift.

This was possible before, using XMonad.Actions.Submap.
As Brent said, he just wrote keybindings parser (i.e. introduced
convenient emacs-style syntax).

BTW, last night on IRC I saw several emacs users discussing
impossibility of redefining keys in vi (I guess that discussion was
related to this patch).
I had no time to response then, but yes, in Vim (current de-facto
standard implementation of vi) user can (re-)define keybindings,
including even different bindings for different modes.

--
Roman I. Cheplyaka (aka Feuerbach @ IRC)