[xmonad] Re: darcs patch: Scratchpad terminal

Braden Shepherdson Braden.Shepherdson at gmail.com
Mon Feb 25 23:45:52 EST 2008

Adam Vogt wrote:
> * On Monday, February 25 2008, Braden Shepherdson wrote:
>

>> New patches:
>>
>> [Scratchpad terminal
>> Braden Shepherdson <Braden.Shepherdson at gmail.com>**20080225183633
>>
>> Key binding and ManageHook to pop up a small, floating terminal window for a few quick commands.
>>
>> Combined with a utility like detach[1], makes a great X application launcher.
>>
>> Requires my two new ManageHooks (doRectFloat, specifically).
>>
>> [1] http://detach.sourceforge.net
>
> Are there any differences between detach and the disown shell builtin?
> (Other than maybe syntax prettiness... which you could get with a shell
> function...)
>
> ie. is detach ... program
> better or different than:
>
> program & disown %1     ?

I certainly find the detach syntax handier, though of course a wrapper
on disown could do the same. Mainly, I didn't know about disown. It
seems like disown would work. I say "a utility /like/ disown"; any such
tool that runs a program so that it won't die with the terminal will do
the job.

Braden Shepherdson
shepheb