[xmonad] Re: Emergency terminal

Brent Yorgey byorgey at gmail.com
Wed Feb 20 13:23:43 EST 2008

On Wed, Feb 20, 2008 at 1:11 PM, brian <brianchina60221 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Feb 20, 2008 5:06 PM, Spencer Janssen <sjanssen at cse.unl.edu> wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 20, 2008 at 03:45:32PM +0800, brian wrote:
> > > But I wish it worked more like the Ion scratchpad. In that one, the
> > > floating rectangle was permanent, and the hotkey just switched to it.
> > > I'm trying to use the scratchpad to do 'vim ~/TODO' and it's a little
> > > troublesome because the hotkey starts another one rather than just
> > > causing the existing one appear.
> >
> > Hmm, perhaps combine this with the new "run or raise" contrib?
>
> OK, I did all the usual stuff except
> runOrRaise (XMonad.terminal conf ++ " -title todo -e vim -X ~/TODO")
> (title =? "todo"))
>
> That's pretty cool, but it switches focus to the scratchpad as opposed
> to bringing it to me. Still, progress.

It should be possible to bring the window to you.  Check out
XMonad.Actions.WindowBringer -- it doesn't do what you want, but perhaps it
will give you some ideas.  Even better, it should probably be refactored to
provide some more fundamental operations (there are actions to create a menu
from which you can choose a window name to be brought to you -- but no
simple function which, given a window name, will bring it to you).

-Brent