[xmonad] darcs patch: Refactor XMonad.Hooks.DynamicLog

Brent Yorgey byorgey at gmail.com
Wed Feb 20 10:43:06 EST 2008

On Wed, Feb 20, 2008 at 10:30 AM, Roman Cheplyaka <roma at ro-che.info> wrote:

> * Spencer Janssen <sjanssen at cse.unl.edu> [2008-02-12 03:58:21-0600]
> > On Mon, Feb 11, 2008 at 12:25:59AM +0200, Roman Cheplyaka wrote:
> > > Mon Feb 11 00:24:06 EET 2008  Roman Cheplyaka <roma at ro-che.info>
> > >   * Refactor XMonad.Hooks.DynamicLog
> > >   This allows using DynamicLog not only for statusbar.
> >
> > >    , ((mod1Mask, xK_a     ), sendMessage NextLayout >>
> (dynamicLogString myPP >>= \d->spawn $"xmessage "++d))
> >
> > Why not use this instead:
> > > dynamicLogWithPP $ myPP { ppOutput = spawn . ("xmessage "++) }
> >
> > Just trying to play devil's advocate against API increases here :)
>
> Yeah, I was blind. Now it seems really pointless.
> Feel free to unapply it. Would you also edit [1]?

Personally, I still feel like having dynamicLogString is a nice abstraction
-- it decouples the status text generation from the output, and lets you get
your hands directly on the status text if you would like.  So, it turns out
that this particular example can be done more simply using a specialized
ppOutput, but that doesn't mean dynamicLogString might not still be useful.

-Brent