[xmonad] XPrompt.Shell feature requests

Andrea Rossato andrea.rossato at unibz.it
Sat Feb 16 08:56:04 EST 2008

On Fri, Feb 15, 2008 at 03:23:18AM -0600, Spencer Janssen wrote:
> > When there are multiple matches in bash, pressing tab twice
> > causes the possible matches to be printed one per line,
> > without any escaping. bash escapes the filename only when
> > matched text is added to the current command line.
>
> Ah, I thought you meant that the escapes would also be removed from the command
> line, but you didn't.  In that case, this seems fine.

For sometime I forgot I wrote a class and wrapped it in an existential
just because when I was writing the prompt I was thinking about
expanding the API at a later time in a safe manner... that time has
come...;)

So, now the prompt can complete just the last word of the command
line, or the whole line - which makes it possible to have a theme
selector displaying all the information we want to display, or a
gotoWindow without having to escape everything.

The first is the default behavior and can be tuned, so now it is
possible to have the completions displayed without escaping the space
(or other special character), and have them escaped in the command
line, which was one of the requested features.

The first one (the trailing slash) is not so easy, and this is the
solution I've pushed: if there is just one completion and that
completion is a directory, a trailing slash will be added.

I don't know if it is the right approach, but it is definitely the
simplest one I could think about (and I don't think I'm not going to
think about it twice... so patches are welcome...;).

Please let me know your thoughts.
Andrea