[xmonad] Re: Emergency terminal

Don Stewart dons at galois.com
Fri Feb 15 13:45:59 EST 2008

xmonad-bounces:
> The attached message has been automatically discarded.
> Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2008 08:45:01 +0200
> From: Salvatore Iovene <salvatore.iovene at googlemail.com>
> To: xmonad at haskell.org
> Subject: Emergency terminal
>
> Hi all,
> sometimes I need to open a terminal window just for a quick task (i.e.
> quickly view an image). Using Mod+p and opening a dmenu is not really
> good for that (lack of good completation support) and I don't want to
> open a new terminal that will change the existing layout (not good on
> the eye).
>
> The ideal solution would be having a special key that'd fire up a
> floating terminal on the bottom of the screen, only, say, 5 lines
> high, so you could quickly give your command without interfering with
> the existing layout.
>
> Is there anything like this already around?
> Thanks!

There's been much talk about a 'scratchpad' terminal.
This doesn't exist, but would be easy to implement as
an extension -- just open up a terminal with a
property set on it, then write a manageHook rule that
looks for that property, and positions the window as floating,
and with particular geometry.

This would be a great extension to have, if someone
would like to write it.

-- Don