[xmonad] Tabbed.addTabs broken?

Andrea Rossato andrea.rossato at unibz.it
Fri Feb 15 02:30:47 EST 2008

On Wed, Feb 13, 2008 at 10:45:49AM -0500, David Roundy wrote:
> Why not use the input-rectangle that's given to doLayout? i.e. what if I
> want to do something like this

'decorate' and 'pureDecoration' are using precisely that rectangle
(the one passed to 'redoLayout', which is the one passed to
'doLayout').

>  (fooLayout *|* tabbedLikeDecoration floatingLayout)
>  (tabbedLikeDecoration (fooLayout *|* floatingLayout))
>  (tabbedLikeDecoration fooLayout *|* tabbedLikeDecoration floatingLayout)

the fact that this is not happening with my previous TabbedDecoration
is a bug I was not aware of. Now I can indeed see it and I want it to
be fixed (which still doesn't mean that we will have just one
TabbedDecoration for real tabbed layouts and for tabbed-like
decorations, obviously).

> > Applying decorations after combining layouts is definitely something
> > *very* good. I'm wondering if this is compatible with the above.
> > (Probably not?)
>
> I think this is compatible with a tabbedLikeDecoration that obeys its input
> rectangle (which ought to have a decent name, but I can't think of one at
> the moment), as described above.

The fact that it does not is puzzling, as I said. I need to have a
closer look.

> I don't think it's incompatible with combinators, as described above.  Of
> course, you could get very weird effects if you did something like
>
> tabbedLikeDecoration (tabbedLikeDecoration fooLayout *|*
>                       tabbedLikeDecoration floatingLayout)

I have a patch that at least will prevent Decoration from decorating
decorations, but before pushing I want to rewrite isDecoration...
;)

Andrea