[xmonad] XPrompt.Shell feature requests

lithis xmonad at s001.hethrael.com
Thu Feb 14 14:36:22 EST 2008

On Thu, 2008/02/14 05:22:15 -0600, Spencer Janssen wrote:
> Then there are two commands that appear
> as "touch foo bar" on screen,

Because the pop-up display is shown in columns, it would be
obvious that “foo” “bar” and “foo bar” were distinct:
foo
bar
foo bar

> but will execute different things depending on whether the user used
> tab completion.

Escaping should still be performed in the command line
itself; I’m just suggesting the the escaping happen after
the pop-up list is displayed and before the text is added to
the command line (instead of before the pop-up list is
displayed). In the above example. selecting “foo bar” with
tab would append “foo\ bar” to the command line.

> Furthermore, I think it is pretty standard to display the
> escapes in this fashion (it is what bash and zsh do, at least).

When there are multiple matches in bash, pressing tab twice
causes the possible matches to be printed one per line,
without any escaping. bash escapes the filename only when
matched text is added to the current command line.