[xmonad] Issue 125 in xmonad: Tabbed layout not working anymore

Spencer Janssen sjanssen at cse.unl.edu
Fri Feb 1 16:29:58 EST 2008

On Fri, Feb 01, 2008 at 04:44:04AM -0800, codesite-noreply at google.com wrote:
> Issue 125: Tabbed layout not working anymore
> http://code.google.com/p/xmonad/issues/detail?id=125
>
> Comment #16 by andrea.rossato:
>> The only thing that remains, from a user point of view, is the
>> ability to click on the tabs (decorations) to switch to the window.
>
> this requires a change in the way we handle messages. Basically, a layout
> modifier is
> not allowed to call "focus w" (the function to place a window in focus),
> because that
> modifies the stack the layout modifier is operating with. As I wrote here:
> http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/xmonad/2008-January/004398.html
> I do not really grasp the hows and whys, but I'm sure it's true.

Layouts can call 'focus w' in their message handlers -- in fact this is how the
old tabbed layout worked.

> I think this issue is the same of issue #111. (but I remember there should
> be a
> similar issue, but I cannot find it presently).

Issue #111 only comes into play when a message handler changes the set of
visible workspaces.  The old tabbed hit this issue when the user clicks a tab
on an inactive workspace.

Cheers,
Spencer Janssen