[xmonad] Issue 7 in xmonad: spawn does not properly handle certain processes

codesite-noreply at google.com codesite-noreply at google.com
Sun Dec 21 13:09:46 EST 2008

Comment #3 on issue 7 by dnietoc: spawn does not properly handle certain
processes

> Processes that read from stdin no longer block Xmonad.  However, there
are reports
> that these processes become abnormally blocked on stdin.

Actually, they are *normally* blocked on stdin waiting for data! Their
standard input
is not connected, though, to an X terminal but to the virtual terminal from
which X
was started.

Let say active terminal is VT1, we now startx and (generaly?) the window
manager is
shown on VT7. Try this, ($ := shell prompt, > := action while X is running,
[x] := x
is a comment)

$ startx
[some output..then xmonad appears on VT7]
> use Mod+p to start cat
> start xterm, run "ps -ax" to see it is running
> press Alt+Ctrl+F1 to switch to VT1
[VT1 activates, there's no prompt. what should be typed follows]
here is some data to feed cat
[now cat should have echoed what was typed before. press Alt+F7 to go back
to X]
> start xterm, kill cat

Checking the file descriptors while cat is running shows the folowing
mappings

(on xmonad) ls -l /proc/2555/fd
total 0
lrwx------ 1 diego users 64 dic 21 15:59 0 -> /dev/vc/1
lrwx------ 1 diego users 64 dic 21 15:59 1 -> /dev/vc/1
lrwx------ 1 diego users 64 dic 21 15:59 2 -> /dev/vc/1
lr-x------ 1 diego users 64 dic 21 15:59 3 -> pipe:[8609]

I have tried doing the same under OpenBox window manager and they map stdin
/dev/null for every program spawned. So, those reading stdin end
immidiately.

(on Openbox) ls -l /proc/3617/fd/
total 0
lrwx------ 1 diego users 64 dic 15 16:39 0 -> /dev/null