[xmonad] make a window always on top

Roman Cheplyaka roma at ro-che.info
Thu Dec 11 09:25:17 EST 2008

* Chengqi(Lars) Song <songcq at gmail.com> [2008-12-11 20:40:50+0800]
> I'm using stalonetray as my tray window, it's a tiny floating window.
> I set it to be on top layer, and it works well in openbox.
>
> Now I'm trying to move to xmonad, and I have made it ignored by
> managehook. But it is sticky in all workspaces, and ignored by window
> switching operations. But it can not stay on top of other windows
> anymore. Is there any way I can do it? Thanks.

The common way to do this is to reserve a space for it, so there will be
no overlap between stalonetray and other windows. This can be done with
XMonad.Hooks.ManageDocks extension.

The other way, if you really want tray to be *on top* of other windows,
is to use XMonad.Layout.Monitor extension. (It was written after 0.8
release, thus in order to use it you need darcs version of xmonad and
xmonad-contrib.) If you go this way, please report me if it was
successful (of course, it should be).

--
Roman I. Cheplyaka (aka Feuerbach @ IRC)