[xmonad] xmonad 0.8 release candidate

Spencer Janssen spencerjanssen at gmail.com
Fri Aug 29 16:24:46 EDT 2008

On Fri, Aug 29, 2008 at 11:49:07AM +0200, Joachim Breitner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Am Donnerstag, den 28.08.2008, 15:06 -0400 schrieb Gwern Branwen:
> > On 2008.08.26 23:32:19 +0200, Joachim Breitner <mail at joachim-breitner.de> scribbled 1.6K characters:
> > > Hi,

> > > I know that _something_ behaved differently when I packaged and
> > > installed the release candidate, although I wasn’t sure until you
> > > notified me of this. I must have had it applied locally before.
> >
> > That's interesting. So you didn't see any problems with this patch?
> > Did it get more widely used? If it's been de facto tested extensively
> > already, application would be a good idea.
>
> I’ve been using it since it was posted, and it’s fine. Without it, I
> sometimes have mouse jumps away from popped up menus, just because
> Xmonad felt it had to run loghook for some reason.

Now this issue is more serious than what I thought the patch addressed.  I
thought the patch was about desktop panels and such.

> From my POV, this is
> tested and can be considered a bug fix, not a new feature, and therefore
> could, with some goodwill, be applied in a release freeze :-)

Yes, I think so.  It is now applied.

> I don’t know of anyone else using it, so if anyone on this list uses
> UpdatePointer without these patches, please speak up.
>
> > > I’m considering to apply it in the 0.8 Debian package when I package it,
> > > so that I can use it myself unmodified. Of course, I’d prefer it to be
> > > in the release, but I see that it’s a bit late for that.
> > >
> > > Greetings,
> > > Joachim
> >
> > Well, I think it'd be a good thing for the official release to not be
> > different from the packaged releases; whether the resolution should be
> > you applying it and convincing dons & sjanssen to apply it, or whether
> > they should convince you to not apply it I have no opinion on. I just
> > think it was bad enough when all the Debian users had problems unique
> > to them that I don't want even a mild repeat.
>
> I understand, but OTOH it’s a equally good thing to actually for the
> maintainer use the package as was released, to be able to properly
> respond to user’s questions. Anyways, this is a very minor and local
> change, and of course I’ll be responsible for any problems the Debian
> users might have with UpdatePointer.
>
> Greetings,
> Joachim
>
> --
> Joachim "nomeata" Breitner
> Debian Developer
>   nomeata at debian.org | ICQ# 74513189 | GPG-Keyid: 4743206C
>   JID: nomeata at joachim-breitner.de | http://people.debian.org/~nomeata

Regarding Debian specific patches, I'd really rather not have that.  If there
is an issue that is important for Debian users, it is probably important to all
xmonad users.  As such, it seems best to lobby for inclusion upstream rather
than help only a minority of the xmonad community.

Cheers,
Spencer Janssen