[xmonad] xmonad 0.8 release candidate

Gwern Branwen gwern0 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 28 15:06:03 EDT 2008

On 2008.08.26 23:32:19 +0200, Joachim Breitner <mail at joachim-breitner.de> scribbled 1.6K characters:
> Hi,
>
> Am Dienstag, den 26.08.2008, 16:23 -0400 schrieb Gwern Branwen:
> > Or how about this UpdatePointer patch
> > <http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/xmonad/2008-June/005845.html>? No
> > comments, applies cleanly, and doesn't look fatally flawed to me.
>
> I know that _something_ behaved differently when I packaged and
> installed the release candidate, although I wasn’t sure until you
> notified me of this. I must have had it applied locally before.

That's interesting. So you didn't see any problems with this patch? Did it get more widely used? If it's been de facto tested extensively already, application would be a good idea.

> I’m considering to apply it in the 0.8 Debian package when I package it,
> so that I can use it myself unmodified. Of course, I’d prefer it to be
> in the release, but I see that it’s a bit late for that.
>
> Greetings,
> Joachim

Well, I think it'd be a good thing for the official release to not be different from the packaged releases; whether the resolution should be you applying it and convincing dons & sjanssen to apply it, or whether they should convince you to not apply it I have no opinion on. I just think it was bad enough when all the Debian users had problems unique to them that I don't want even a mild repeat.

--
gwern
KEDO Passwords rsta Shell Scully 312 312 3P-HV ladylove Merv