[xmonad] Re: Minimise windows?

Braden Shepherdson Braden.Shepherdson at gmail.com
Sat Aug 16 15:57:22 EDT 2008

Don Stewart wrote:
> magnus:
>> Is there a way of minimising windows in Xmonad?
>>
>> I've found several times that I really miss minimising of windows.
>> Right now e.g. I have a screen with VirtualBox (its control window and
>> a window for a single VM) and I want to stick a browser next to the VM
>> to follow some instructions on a web page.  What I've ended up doing
>> so far is moving the control window to a "scratch screen" so that the
>> screen is divided evenly between the VM and the browser.  However,
>> once I'm done I'll move the browser back to the "web screen" and I'll
>> have to move the control window back again from the "scratch screen".
>>

> I tend to move windows to a scratch workspace.  I think encapsulating
> that model as a 'raise/minimise' key binding would make sense.
>
> -- Don

See for example how XMonad.Util.Scratchpad handles banishing and
summoning itself from a scratch workspace.

An alternative to having to move it back, consider copying the windows
to the other workspace. I have bindings for M-c N to copy the focused
window to workspace N. Then you can use the alternative `kill1' function
provided by the WindowCopy module to have mod+shift+c just delete the
copy unless it's the last one.

But that's easing the symptom rather than the problem, perhaps.

Braden Shepherdson
shepheb