[xmonad] Grid layout eats other layouts

Roman Cheplyaka roma at ro-che.info
Sun Apr 27 12:00:20 EDT 2008

* Yitzchak Gale <gale at sefer.org> [2008-04-27 18:54:03+0300]
> I wrote:
> >> I want to add Grid to the default list of layouts.
> >> When I do:
> >> ,layoutHook = avoidStruts $ layoutHook defaultConfig ||| Grid
> >> I only get Tall and Grid. The last two layouts from
> >> defaultConfig - Mirror Tall and Full - disappear,
> >> seemingly "eaten" by Grid...
> >> Any ideas why?
>
> Roman Cheplyaka <roma at ro-che.info> wrote:
> >  It's because code which works with Choose data type expects the tree to
> >  grow to the left. If you write
> >  ,layoutHook = avoidStruts $ Grid ||| layoutHook defaultConfig
> >  it will work.
>
> But that would put Grid as the first layout instead of the
> last. That is not what I want.

Right. It's not a solution, I'm just illustrating the problem (your
question was "why", not "what to do").

Now your options are:
- compose needed layouts explicitely (again, layouts like (a|||b)|||c
  won't work), or
- use NewSelect combinator from XMonad.Layout.LayoutCombinators.

...being in love is totally punk rock...