[xmonad] Issue 179 in xmonad: Tabbed Layout does not scale for >50 windows

codesite-noreply at google.com codesite-noreply at google.com
Wed Apr 16 14:10:56 EDT 2008

Issue 179: Tabbed Layout does not scale for >50 windows

Comment #2 by Braden.Shepherdson:
sjanssen and I looked into this last week.

Laying out the tabs appears to be O(n^2), so opening n windows becomes O(n^3).

Further, the text size calculations are O(w^2) (w the longest name) and
do expensive
font-metric calculations.

sjanssen and I agree that those runtimes should be possible as O(n) and
O(w), and
using a fixed-width font should remove the many font-metrics calls too.

Unfortunately, these changes are in the "rewrite" category, not
the "tweak" one.