[xmonad] Re: Patch: fix focus when user is moving the mouse

David Roundy droundy at darcs.net
Thu Apr 10 11:18:51 EDT 2008

On Wed, Apr 09, 2008 at 04:55:35PM -0500, Spencer Janssen wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 09, 2008 at 03:45:51PM -0600, Justin Bogner wrote:
> > Why isn't this good? the focus staying under the mouse seems more sane
> > than it going to an arbitrary window (the last).
> The choice isn't arbitrary, focus always goes to the next window in stack
> order.  The idea behind the current system is that the user can totally ignore
> the position of the mouse when managing windows -- and I'd rather avoid any
> change that breaks this property.

I agree with Spencer here.  I'm still not convinced that our current
approach is better than maintaining a focus stack, but it's definitely
better for the behavior when you close a window to no be dependent on
where the mouse happens to be, and how you happen to have shifted focus to
the current window.
David Roundy
Department of Physics
Oregon State University