[xmonad] Re: darcs patch: _NET_ACTIVE_WINDOW moves windows if necessary

Justin Bogner mail at justinbogner.com
Wed Apr 2 17:25:16 EDT 2008

Joachim Breitner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Am Mittwoch, den 02.04.2008, 10:25 -0600 schrieb Justin Bogner:
>> Joachim Breitner wrote:
>>> Wed Apr  2 16:38:11 CEST 2008  Joachim Breitner <mail-to47D2EaAWk1CdkroaAfqBvVK+yQ3ZXh-XMD5yJDbdMReXY1tMh2IBg at public.gmane.org>
>>>   * _NET_ACTIVE_WINDOW moves windows if necessary
>>>   This makes EWMH behave a bit more like metacity: If _NET_ACTIVE_WINDOW is
>>>   received and the window is not on the current worspace, it is brought here
>>>   (instead of the workspace switched to the other one). So for example, if you
>>>   click on the pidgin icon in the panel and the buddy list is already open some
>>>   where it is moved here.
>> I much prefer the old behaviour. Is it possible to make it configurable
>> or something? Going to the window of interest makes more sense than it
>> coming to you if it's already placed, since you already put it where you
>> want it...
>
> It might be made configurable, but not without considerable bloat. What
> is your actual use case, i.e., what window are you activating with what
> program?
>
> I know that the behavior is debateable (and it should be debated), but
> the old behavior was unintentional and the the default (until we have
> dicussed something better) should match the behavior of other window
> managers.
>
> Do other xmonad users have an opinion on that?
>
> Greetings,
> Joachim

My use case is actually the same as the example. I click the pidgin icon
in the doc and would like to move to my messaging workspace, where the
contact list is already placed where I would like it.
Note that, since I have a hook to place pidgin windows on that
workspace, if the contact list is minimized, clicking the icon brings me
to that workspace, but if it's not minimized, it brings the window to my
current workspace. This obviously makes the tray icon unuseable.
_____
Justin Bogner