[xmonad] Re: darcs patch: _NET_ACTIVE_WINDOW moves windows if necessary

Lee Aylward lee at laylward.com
Wed Apr 2 14:49:48 EDT 2008

On Wed, Apr 02, 2008 at 07:00:44PM +0200, Joachim Breitner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Am Mittwoch, den 02.04.2008, 10:25 -0600 schrieb Justin Bogner:
> > Joachim Breitner wrote:
> > > Wed Apr  2 16:38:11 CEST 2008  Joachim Breitner <mail-to47D2EaAWk1CdkroaAfqBvVK+yQ3ZXh at public.gmane.org>
> > >   * _NET_ACTIVE_WINDOW moves windows if necessary
> > >   This makes EWMH behave a bit more like metacity: If _NET_ACTIVE_WINDOW is
> > >   received and the window is not on the current worspace, it is brought here
> > >   (instead of the workspace switched to the other one). So for example, if you
> > >   click on the pidgin icon in the panel and the buddy list is already open some
> > >   where it is moved here.
> >
> > I much prefer the old behaviour. Is it possible to make it configurable
> > or something? Going to the window of interest makes more sense than it
> > coming to you if it's already placed, since you already put it where you
> > want it...
>
> It might be made configurable, but not without considerable bloat. What
> is your actual use case, i.e., what window are you activating with what
> program?
>
> I know that the behavior is debateable (and it should be debated), but
> the old behavior was unintentional and the the default (until we have
> dicussed something better) should match the behavior of other window
> managers.
>
> Do other xmonad users have an opinion on that?

(I accidentally sent this to just Joachim, resending to the list)

Personally, I would prefer the old behavior. I always keep a Rhythmbox window
fullscreened on it's own workspace, since it takes up a lot of screen space.
I often click the RB icon to jump to that workspace. If RB were to jump to my
current workspace it would be very unusable, since it does not work very well
at low resolution.

I don't think that xmonad should strive to emulate other window managers,
especially non-tiling window managers, since it is really very different.

--
Lee Aylward