[xmonad] [OT] background image

Joachim Breitner mail at joachim-breitner.de
Wed Apr 2 03:30:24 EDT 2008

Hi,

Am Mittwoch, den 02.04.2008, 03:01 +0300 schrieb Roman Cheplyaka:
> I'm investigating how to make per-workspace backgrounds.
> On xmonad side solution is pretty simple using logHook (thanks
> #xmonad-ers for hints!)
>
> The other problem is the speed. Currently I use "qiv -z" to update the
> background (big jpeg photo) and it takes about 0.7-0.8s.
> Preliminary converting it to the size of display (1280x1024) gives
> 0.3-0.4s. It's still barely acceptable.
>
> So, how can I do better? Does X renders jpeg itself, or qiv converts
> jpeg to some other format? Then preliminary converting would also save
> the time.
>
> Any suggestions are welcome.

To make it really fast enough you’d need a long-running program (similar
to xmobar I guess) that creates a pixmap on the X server for all
backgrounds and just switches them without re-loading them. This program
then needs to be controlled from the logHook (again similar to xmobar).

Re-Loading a file from disk to the X server on every desktop change will
be too slow even for bpm files, i think. (But that’s just guessing).

Greetings,
Joachim

--
Joachim "nomeata" Breitner