[xmonad] [OT] background image

Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH allbery at ece.cmu.edu
Tue Apr 1 20:04:38 EDT 2008

On Apr 1, 2008, at 20:01 , Roman Cheplyaka wrote:
> So, how can I do better? Does X renders jpeg itself, or qiv converts
> jpeg to some other format? Then preliminary converting would also save
> the time.

X11 doesn't speak any file-based format.  There are some formats
which are close to the wire protocol:  xbm for fonts, cursors, and
depth-1 windows, and xpm for other bit depths.  But when it comes
down to it, the program has to read whatever format you give it and
populate a Pixmap, then blit that to the window.

system administrator [openafs,heimdal,too many hats] allbery at ece.cmu.edu