[Xmonad] ideas for new layouts and layout modifiers

David Roundy droundy at darcs.net
Fri Sep 28 16:08:12 EDT 2007

On Fri, Sep 28, 2007 at 01:53:57PM -0500, Spencer Janssen wrote:
> On Friday 28 September 2007 12:33:26 David Roundy wrote:

> > > Please display somehow (a *faint* red border?) the trail of windows that
> > > you'll go to with left or right.  It annoys me in word processors that I
> > > can't see where up or down is going to take me to.  Modal badness...
> > > (Although with xmonad, I don't put more than a few windows on a
> > > workspace and usually use full-screen, so it doesn't actually make much
> > > of a difference to me)
> >
> > I've implemented this module, and even wrote the code for your special
> > border (which I made bright blue so I'd be sure to know if it worked), but
> > my border-setting code apparently didn't work as it ought, so I commented
> > it out.  Suggestions would be appreciated.  I don't like X color stuff, it
> > looks scary.
>
> We set window border colors after executing the layouts, I bet this is the
> problem.

Sounds like it.  Do you see an easy workaround? It seems like we only need
to change borders when we change the focus, and in that case we should only
need to change the border on two windows (the previously focussed window
and the new focus window).  Am I correct that making this (border-coloring)
more efficient would also make the WindowNavigation coloring code work?
--
David Roundy
Department of Physics