[Xmonad] [HUMOR] xmonad useless without programming skills ?

Xiao-Yong Jin xj2106 at columbia.edu
Fri Sep 14 19:35:22 EDT 2007

Alex Tarkovsky <alextarkovsky at gmail.com> writes:

> Ideally a GUI-based configuration utility could be offered -- xmonad is

Practically, that's nearly impossible.  Just imagine how it
could be done to actually using a GUI-based configuration
utility to do all the work of Emacs lisp.

> an X11 application after all. If designed well, it could
> capture the flexibility of Config.hs. As for text file

Take an example of a window manager.  There is not a useful
GUI-based utility to configure FVWM.  Only those window
managers that have really few choices for users may have a
beautifully designed utility.  But those are barely
configurable.

> based configuration, the traditional UNIX option=value
> style is probably too limiting, so I concede that

I second that, since the option=value style is likely to
introduce a new language -- most of the programs are moving
to XML, though.

> Config.hs should probably stick around for the more
> intrepid users.

It would be possible to make a GUI-based utility to
configure some simple behaviours through some variables.
However, maintaining a Config.hs file is indispensable to
make xmonad highly configurable.

> --
> Alex Tarkovsky