[Xmonad] Re: How to combine xmonad with Ubuntu?

Geoffrey Alan Washburn geoffw at cis.upenn.edu
Mon Sep 10 14:59:18 EDT 2007

Alec Berryman wrote:
> Andy Gimblett on 2007-09-10 17:02:06 +0100:
>
>> Hmmm, thinking on, I seem to recall seeing a screenshot of xmonad with
>> a KDE kicker at the bottom, around the time status bars started
>> happening...  Ah, here we are: looks like Spencer's the expert here.
>>
>>     http://xmonad.org/images/screen-sjanssen-kde-kicker.png
>>
>> (on http://xmonad.org/contrib.html)
>>
>> Maybe you can do something similar with whatever app Gnome uses to
>> display its menu/status?  (Or maybe it's an intractable mess of
>> interconnected bloat - I really don't know. :-) )
>
> I need access to GNOME's network applet (nm-applet) to do wireless with
> WPA - it's just been a mess for me otherwise.  There's no command-line
> analogue, and xmonad won't display just the applet in its own window, so
> I've been using 'trayer' to start it up and do my configuration.  More
> than a bit of a hack, but works well enough.

I tried sending this yesterday, but it didn't work for some reason:

I have found that including "gnome-settings-daemon" and
"gnome-power-manager" in ~/.xinitrc will allow me to retain unobtrusive
notifications concerning m laptop's battery.  I think starting
"update-notifier" will also present you with notifications concerning
updates, but I have not been able to test this yet.