[Xmonad] Switching away from and back to a tabbed workspace

Dave Harrison dave at nullcube.com
Fri Sep 7 19:26:06 EDT 2007

Spencer Janssen wrote:
> On Thursday 30 August 2007 19:12:45 Dave Harrison wrote:
>> Dave Harrison wrote:
>>> Not sure if I'm the only one seeing this or not, but what I'm seeing
>>> when I have a tabbed workspace, is that if I have >1 tab in the
>>> workspace and I switch to another workspace that requires my current
>>> workspace be hidden (so not resulting in a swap of two visual
>>> workspaces), and then switch back to it, the visual presentation of
>>> the tabs is some strange munge of the tab I had selected, and the tab
>>> that had been viewing before I chose the currently selected one.
>>>
>>> This behaviour doesn't seem to show up in the other default layouts
>>> that I use such as tiled or full.
>> Hey all,
>>
>> At the moment, I haven't been able to resolve the above issue, but I
>> have managed to capture some screenshots of the bug in action.  The
>> screenshots can be seen at these URLs:
>>
>> These two are the tabs as they look when viewed (correct):
>>
>>   http://www.nullcube.com/xmonad/XmonadTabbed_Tab1.png
>>   http://www.nullcube.com/xmonad/XmonadTabbed_Tab2.png
>>
>> This is what happens after I switch away, and then back (buggy) :
>>
>>   http://www.nullcube.com/xmonad/XmonadTabbed_Munged.png
>>

>> Help ?
>>
>> Cheers
>> Dave
>
> Ah, so the contents of the *windows* are scrambled, not the tabs themselves.
> In this example, which window is supposed to have keyboard focus?  Which
> window actually receives keyboard input?  Does mod-n have any effect on these
> scrambled windows?

The vim window (far left) is meant to have focus, and it does have
keyboard focus, it's just that the window image (so to speak) is
scrambled - as I type, the stuff I'm typing appears where it should
too, but the rest of the page remains scrambled until I alt-tab cycle
the windows.

mod-n has no effect, and I have seen this behaviour with other apps
such as Gaim and Skype that I immediately remember - I'm pretty sure
I've seen it happen with most of my apps.