[Xmonad] Re: Switching workspace ...

Bruce Stephens xmonad at cenderis.demon.co.uk
Mon Sep 3 07:15:52 EDT 2007

kg <kg2007.kg-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> writes:

[...]

> If I have understood the tutoriel, there is a workspace on each
> physical screen.

Yes.

> I don't understand why I can't change the focus with mod-1, mod-2
> whereas I can change with mod-e , mod-w ...

That's how it used to work.

If you were on one screen and workspace 2 was on the other one, then
mod-2 would switch focus to the other screen.

That changed a week or two ago, and now you stay on the same screen
and the workspaces get moved as necessary.  So mod-2 still changes
focus to workspace 2, but it'll move the workspace rather than moving
focus to another screen.

I found the new behaviour rather disturbing (especially since it had a
bug if you have defaultGaps different for the screens, but that's now
fixed), but I'm getting used to it.

I think the current behaviour's probably better.  The switching around
of the workspaces is still a little disturbing, but it fits well with
the general feeling of this kind of window manager (where windows get
moved around as appropriate), and it makes mod-{1,2,...} much more
predictable.  It's quite possible the tutorial hasn't caught up.