[Xmonad] Issue 75 in xmonad: float mode and automatic workspace placement don't work together

codesite-noreply at google.com codesite-noreply at google.com
Tue Oct 30 09:35:35 EDT 2007

Issue 75: float mode and automatic workspace placement don't work together

New issue report by lobz... at free.fr:
What steps will reproduce the problem?

1. configure xmonad to have firefox starting in float mode in workspace
named "web" :

manageHook w _ _ c | c `elem` floats = fmap (W.float w . snd)
(floatLocation w)
 where floats = ["MPlayer", "Gimp" , "pidgin" , "Firefox-bin"]

-- Desktop panels and dock apps should be ignored by xmonad:
manageHook w _ n _ | n `elem` ignore = reveal w >> return (W.delete w)
 where ignore = ["gnome-panel", "desktop_window", "kicker", "kdesktop"]

-- Automatically send Firefox windows to the "web" workspace:
-- If a workspace named "web" doesn't exist, the window will appear on the
-- current workspace.
manageHook _ _ "gecko" _ = return $ W.shift "web"
manageHook _ _ "evolution" _ = return $ W.shift "mail"
manageHook _ _ "icq" _ = return $ W.shift "icq"
manageHook _ _ "pidgin" _ = return $ W.shift "misc"

-- The default rule: return the WindowSet unmodified.  You typically do not
-- want to modify this line.
manageHook _ _ _ _ = return id

2. restart xmonad

--> What is the expected output? What do you see instead?

I expect to have firefox float in workspace "web", however firefox starts
in the current workspace.

If I remove the firefox float rule, then firefox goes to the right
workspace in tile mode...

Thanks for your support !

Regards, Lobzang.

PS : I'm using the current darcs version

Issue attributes:
	Owner: ----
	Labels: Type-Defect Priority-Medium