[Xmonad] Help: sendMessage doesn't work for me in combineTwo

Xiao-Yong Jin xj2106 at columbia.edu
Wed Oct 24 02:02:01 EDT 2007

David Roundy <droundy at darcs.net> writes:

> On Tue, Oct 23, 2007 at 07:42:50PM -0400, Xiao-Yong Jin wrote:
>> I added the following to my Config.hs
>>
>> hunk ./Config.hs 141
>> +          , Layout $ combineTwo (TwoPane delta (5%16))
>> +                       (Mirror tiled)
>> +                       (Circle)
>
> How does this look and work? I'd never have thought to use this particular
> combination...

It looks cool on my 1920x1200 screen.  I'm actually using
ThreeColumns instead of the default Tall mode on the left
pane, so there are three windows on the left, and at the
same time the pretty Circle layout occupies the larger right
area.  It's not as useful as the plain ThreeColumns, which
is my default layout that I use while working, but as a
casual layout for a screen, where you may just put an email
application, a web browser, some im/irc, etc., it's a quite
good one.

However, as you mentioned in the file Combo.hs, the
/weirdness/ of the layout order with combineTwo really
limits the use of such a layout.  Although swapMaster still
works amazingly (yet sometimes it swaps both masters in both
pane), I'm forced to switch all other window navigation
commands to those in WindowNavigation, which are not at all
bad in usual tiled layout.  However, Circle doesn't play
well with those commands in WindowNavigation, as some of you
may be already aware.  Fortunately, the track point and
touch pad on my laptop come into rescue.  Thus I'm able to
change focus without too much effort of moving my hands.

After all, it's a casual layout for killing time.  And here
is a screen shot for those of you who are interested in what
it would look like.