[Xmonad] darcs patch: XSelection.hs: simplify creation of window (and 10 more)

Gwern Branwen gwern0 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 13:16:33 EDT 2007

On 2007.10.23 14:50:35 +0200, Christian Thiemann <mail at christian-thiemann.de> scribbled 0 lines:
> Gwern Branwen wrote:
>> On 2007.10.23 11:29:34 +0300, "Valery V. Vorotyntsev"
>> <valery.vv at gmail.com> scribbled 0 lines:
>>> What is the purpose of this moving?
>>> IMHO, the function fits nicely in Run.hs.
>> IIRC, leaving runInXTerm in Run.hs causes a cyclical import - but I might
>> have moved it because it made more sense to me in there.
>
> The function was in a stand-alone module named RunInXTerm before the runXXX
> functions were collected into Run.  So the situation for the function
> itself is unchanged.  Probably the dependencies of the other
> runXXX-functions cause some cyclical imports, but Run.hs just imports
> XMonad from the core and nothing from the contrib, so I don't see where a
> problem might arise, unless XMonad.hs imports some contrib modules, which
> is not the case.
>
> Conceptually I find it odd that I now need to import the whole ShellPrompt
> facility just to get a command that has nothing to do with ShellPrompt.
>
> Greetings,
>   Christian

Perhaps I don't understand your intent with runInXTerm then? My understanding was that it was supposed to take a string argument, pass it through the shell which would do whatever it specified, and then run the resultant command in an terminal specified by the shell (falling back to XTerm). This makes perfect sense to go into ShellPrompt to me - it's dealing with the shell, after all. Run.hs has various ways of running commands, ShellPrompt has various ways of running shell commands, and XSelection has various ways of dealing with the X selection.

--
gwern
Case Counterterrorism nonac SCOI SUBACS tekka Blacknet NRC SIGS JIC