[Xmonad] darcs patch: XSelection.hs: simplify creation of window (and 10 more)

Gwern Branwen gwern0 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 12:57:52 EDT 2007

On 2007.10.23 15:36:12 +0200, Andrea Rossato <mailing_list at istitutocolli.org> scribbled 0 lines:
> On Tue, Oct 23, 2007 at 08:20:50AM -0400, Gwern Branwen wrote:

> > > What is the purpose of this moving?
> > > IMHO, the function fits nicely in Run.hs.
> >
> > IIRC, leaving runInXTerm in Run.hs causes a cyclical import - but I might have moved it because it made more sense to me in there.

> > > The code looks somewhat polluted now. :)
> > > ``*Do not use explicit import lists*, except to resolve name clashes.''
> > >   - GHC Coding Style Guidelines,
> > >    <http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/Commentary/CodingStyle>
> > >
> > > --
> > > WBR,
> > > vvv
> >
> > Well, I'm not sure what's right for GHC's modules is right for XMonad's
> > modules. I personally find they make things easier, but that may be just me.
>
> I must confess I don't think I like these patches very much. Lately I
> was very busy with the starting of the new semester and didn't have
> time to review the code carefully (I still have to pull them) but they
> add functionalities that seem not to be related to a shell prompt at
> first sight, and should probably belong to a different module.
>
> Regarding the style: I hope that Don will come up with some coding
> convention I remember he was talking about.
>
> For the time being, and for the code I maintain, I believe that
> patches should not change the coding style of a module to adapt it to
> every contributor's own feelings. This would lead to some confusion.
> So, if the coding style of a module is not a specific issue itself, I
> would leave it unchanged, or let the original author decide. And so I
> think I'll bring that module back to its pristine status.

Yes, this struck me as possible, which is why the formatting was (generally) split out to their own patches. I didn't separate them as cleanly as I could have, perhaps, but I didn't *really* expect anyone to take exception.

> I'll probably going to add a different version of the main function,
> because I think it could be useful a different way of handling
> completion since the latest changes were not welcome but everyone -
> the way you use the prompt may required "unoptimized" code for
> efficiency.
>
> The other prompts - but I will first review the problem more carefully
> - can be moved to a new prompt module, connected to XSelection if I
> understand correctly the issue.

The prompts which use XSelection's getSelection are already in XSelection - unsafePromptSelection, and safePromptSelection. They do rely on the safeSpawn and unsafeSpawn in Run.hs however, and have nothing to do with ShellPrompt.

--
gwern
fake E-Bomb NAAP FSF WORM SUW NMI Merlin charge CUN