[Xmonad] darcs patch: STRUT aware gap toggling (clean patch)

David Roundy droundy at darcs.net
Tue Oct 23 10:04:39 EDT 2007

On Tue, Oct 23, 2007 at 12:06:57AM +0200, mail at joachim-breitner.de wrote:
> Tue Oct 23 00:01:32 CEST 2007  mail at joachim-breitner.de
>   * STRUT aware gap toggling (clean patch)
>
>   Without this patch, ManageDocks would only set the gap according to a window???s
>   STRUT when the window is first mapped. This information would then get lost when
>   the user toggle the gap.
>
>   Now, when the user toggles the Gap, all present windows are scanned for STRUT
>   settings, and the gap is set accordingly. No need to manually configure the gap
>   anymore.
>
>   This is the same patch as before, but independant of the Hooks patches, and with
>   more documentation.

This sounds nice, but I wonder:  why use the gaps at all? They were
introduced as a hack to allow status bars to remain visible, but why not
simply introduce a layout modifier (which alas, couldn't be implemented
with the LayoutModifier interface) that automatically adjusts the bounding
rectangle to avoid struts?

(I've obviously been longing to eliminate the ugly gaps from our data
structures...)
--
David Roundy
Department of Physics