[Xmonad] (OT) Fwd: Constrained resize for floated windows

Don Stewart dons at galois.com
Mon Oct 22 17:54:22 EDT 2007

isaacdupree:
> Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH wrote:

> >>Are spammers really smart enough to put "darcs patch: " at the
> >>beginning of the subject line, and attach a darcs patch (e.g. reject
> >>any subject line that doesn't contain "darcs patch", at least if it's
> >>from someone who has never sent a message that's been accepted by the
> >>address/list)?  If they don't sign up, and aren't given access to list
> >>archives, I don't see how spammer-machines could automatically find
> >>out...
> >
> >Sadly, spammers aren't just machines, and the people behind the machines
> >seem to actively seek out ways to target even the most unlikely
> >recipients.  I've given up on trying to understand their logic beyond
> >"all possible recipients in all possible ways at all possible times".
>
> the odd thing is that haskell.org and other mailman mailing lists don't
> seem to get spammed.  Even though anyone can register any e-mail address
> instantly (in the most common configuration)

They do get spammed. This list gets 5 or so a day.
We just block them effectively by requiring subscription, and then
applying a bunch of mailman rules.

If people will take the time to prepare a darcs patch, the burden of
signing up to the list seems relatively light in comparison, and helps
ensure we can talk to potential contributors more easily.

-- Don