[Xmonad] patch: StackSet.hs edits

Brent Yorgey byorgey at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 17:51:50 EDT 2007

On 10/22/07, Don Stewart <dons at galois.com> wrote:

> byorgey:
> >    Hi all,
> >
> >    I've begun going through the xmonad code carefully, in order to
> understand
> >    how it works, be able to contribute more, etc.  Today I went through
> >    StackSet.hs.  While I was going through I made a bunch of small
> changes
> >    (mostly documentation changes).  The only code changes I made were
> (1)
> >    changing a gratuitous 'return' to 'Just'; (2) renaming 'findIndex' to
> >    'findTag'.  The second may be controversial; I don't know what the
> policy
> >    is on changing the names of functions exported by the core, but to me
> >    'findTag' says *much* more clearly what the function does.
>
> The rule is you have to update the QuickCheck properties for that
> function, and any XMC modules that break in the process. As a result,
> we're fairly wary of changing names needlessly, and it also breaks some
> Config.hs files. So hard to say, as findTag is a better name.

yup, understood.  I did update the QuickCheck properties, and they all
passed, and I'm currently running a version of xmonad compiled with findTag
instead of findIndex.  So I'm pretty confident I didn't break anything.

>    I have also attached a patch for XMonadContrib which changes findIndex
> >    findTag in the only contrib module which uses it, Dzen.hs.  Obviously
> this
> >    patch should only be applied if the corresponding patch for core is
> made.
>
> Good. How often is it used in Config.hs files, do you think?

That's a good question. Not very often, I'd guess, but then again, I really
have no idea.  At the very least, I'm guessing it would only be used in
Config.hs by people who know what they're doing and probably read this list.
=)

-Brent