[Xmonad] Combo layouts ??

Dave Harrison dave at nullcube.com
Fri Oct 19 04:19:45 EDT 2007

Devin Mullins wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 18, 2007 at 09:18:38AM -0400, David Roundy wrote:
>>> combo (TwoPane 0.03 0.5) [(Full,1),(tabbed shrinkText defaultTConf,1)]
>> combo (TwoPane 0.03 0.5) [(Layout Full,1),(Layout tabbed shrinkText defaultTConf,1)]
> You mean:
> combo (TwoPane 0.03 0.5) [(Layout Full,1),(Layout $ tabbed shrinkText defaultTConf,1)]
> ?

Hey guys,

I've tried both of your suggestions and neither seem to work for me.

If I use,

layouts = [ combo (TwoPane 0.03 0.5) [(Layout Full,1),(Layout tabbed
shrinkText defaultTConf,1)]
          , Layout $ tabbed shrinkText defaultTConf
          , Layout tiled
          , Layout $ Mirror tiled
          , Layout Full
          -- Add extra layouts you want to use here:
          -- % Extension-provided layouts
          ]

I get the error,

Building xmonad-0.4...
[ 6 of 15] Compiling Config[boot]     ( Config.hs-boot, nothing )
[14 of 15] Compiling Config           ( Config.hs,
dist/build/xmonad/xmonad-tmp/Config.o )

Config.hs:139:55:
    Couldn't match expected type `(String -> [String])
                                  -> TConf
                                  -> Layout a'
           against inferred type `Layout (TConf
                                          ->
XMonadContrib.Tabbed.Tabbed a1)'
    In the expression: Layout tabbed shrinkText defaultTConf
    In the expression: (Layout tabbed shrinkText defaultTConf, 1)
    In the second argument of `combo', namely
        `[(Layout Full, 1), (Layout tabbed shrinkText defaultTConf, 1)]'

If I use,

layouts = [ combo (TwoPane 0.03 0.5) [(Layout Full,1),(Layout $ tabbed
shrinkText defaultTConf,1)]
          , Layout $ tabbed shrinkText defaultTConf
          , Layout tiled
          , Layout $ Mirror tiled
          , Layout Full
          -- Add extra layouts you want to use here:
          -- % Extension-provided layouts
          ]

I get,

Building xmonad-0.4...
[ 6 of 15] Compiling Config[boot]     ( Config.hs-boot, nothing )
[14 of 15] Compiling Config           ( Config.hs,
dist/build/xmonad/xmonad-tmp/Config.o )

Config.hs:139:12:
    Couldn't match expected type `Layout Window'
           against inferred type `XMonadContrib.Combo.Combo TwoPane a'
    In the expression:
        combo
          (TwoPane 3.0e-2 0.5)
          [(Layout Full, 1), (Layout $ (tabbed shrinkText
defaultTConf), 1)]
    In the expression:
        [combo
           (TwoPane 3.0e-2 0.5)
           [(Layout Full, 1), (Layout $ (tabbed shrinkText
defaultTConf), 1)],
           Layout $ (tabbed shrinkText defaultTConf), Layout tiled,
           Layout $ (Mirror tiled), Layout Full]
    In the definition of `layouts':
        layouts = [combo
                     (TwoPane 3.0e-2 0.5)
                     [(Layout Full, 1), (Layout $ (tabbed shrinkText
defaultTConf), 1)],
                     Layout $ (tabbed shrinkText defaultTConf), Layout
tiled,
                     Layout $ (Mirror tiled), Layout Full]
                where
                    tiled = Tall nmaster delta ratio