[Xmonad] dynamic workspaces, session restore

David Roundy droundy at darcs.net
Tue Oct 16 11:16:55 EDT 2007

On Tue, Oct 16, 2007 at 04:22:17PM +0300, Valery V. Vorotyntsev wrote:
> 2) When xmonad quits, it forgets layout settings -- number of windows
>    in master pane, current tiling algorithm, focused window,
>    master/subordinate ratio, etc. Doesn't it?
>
>    We could save this information to `~/.xmonad' file and read it at
>    next startup.

This is most definitely implementable, and not hard.  We already know how
to save the workspace settings, and it wouldn't be hard to remove the
windows to do so cleanly.  It'd almost have to be in core, though, which
means that there needs to be closer to universal agreement.

Actually, with a bit of scripting, it could actually be done right now as a
contrib module, provided you were willing to make your script that starts
xmonad read the file, and pass its contents as an argument after --resume.
--
David Roundy
Department of Physics