[Xmonad] (no subject)

Andrea Rossato mailing_list at istitutocolli.org
Mon Oct 15 11:17:19 EDT 2007

On Mon, Oct 15, 2007 at 05:37:05PM +0200, lobzang at free.fr wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I recently upgraded xmonad / XMonadContrib, and now I have performance problem
> using ShellPrompt... ( response time whe typing)

ShellPrompt went over some refactoring recently, and knowing the
version you are using (darcs, pulled when?) is important.

Basically, there are 2 versions: the first one uses Readline - non too
bad. I tried using bash compgen (also to remove the readline
requirement), but with a vary bad performance.

So I switched to the Haskell function getDirectoryContent, which is
better in my system. My tests show that getDirectoryContet has a
performance similar to readline, without the extra library requirement.

I'm running a centrino laptop (at 1 Ghz) with 512 Mb of Ram. While the
firefox open-with dialog takes 3 minutes to open /usr/bin/ ShellPrompt does
it in 3-5 seconds which is not too bad. But I'm open to suggestion on
how to improvement it.

Andrea