[xmonad] does it make any sense?

Andrea Rossato mailing_list at istitutocolli.org
Sat Nov 17 12:15:42 EST 2007

On Fri, Nov 16, 2007 at 11:31:10PM +0100, Christian Thiemann wrote:
>  Hi Andrea,
>
>  I have been missing a lot of the activity on xmonad in the last two weeks
>  and thus I was somewhat puzzled by the main inversion leaving the darcs
>  version not compiling on my machine.  Meanwhile I upgraded to GHC 6.8 and
>  read your documentation and now I got a good idea of the new xmonad
>  philosophy.  I still need to find some time to actually convert my config,
>  but the documentation helped a lot to understand how to do it (well, at
>  least to make me think that I understand how to do that ;-) ).
>
>  Regarding the issue about non-haskellers having to handle things like
>  Data.Map for modifying keys, I think you made a good move to mention the
>  EZConfig and CustomKeys modules in the documentation.  Especially the
>  EZConfig thing looks quite intuitive and easy (though I can't judge if there
>  are conceptual drawbacks with respect to CustomKeys).
>
>  So, the Documentation module is indeed great work.  I also like Don's idea
>  of making it a wiki article which would probably make it easier for
>  non-coders to add documentation (because they don't need to get into
>  recording and sending darcs patches), but on the other hand your
>  integrated-with-the-source approach is very stylish and I don't know how
>  many "normal" (i.e. not code-contributing) users would be able to document
>  how to use features that others write but do not document ;-)
>
>  Cheers,
>    Christian

Thanks Christian for your kind words.

I'm just having a look at the darcs repository of haddock (I didn't
read the code, but I noticed the new directory structure and I've just
compiled it): the documentation I'm writing as source code should be
exportable to a wiki format (or other stuff) with a very little
effort. If I understand correctly now haddock is a library and writing
a backend for a wiki text export should be easy. But I could be
totally wrong on that... ;)

BTW, I'll keep on updating that file for now. We can later decide how
to deal with this issue.

Cheers,
 Andrea