[xmonad] darcs patch: Tabbed.hs, SetWMName.hs: the modules need bitwise "or"

Brent Yorgey byorgey at gmail.com
Thu Nov 15 13:46:13 EST 2007

> > Why? Is there any reason? Shouldn't be preferable to explicitly import
> > what is needed, without relaying on the core re-exporting stuff for
> > us?
>
> I suspect Don did this to make users' xmonad.hs smaller.  I'm ambivalent.

I think the point is not to make xmonad.hs *smaller* so much as it is to
make it *simpler*.  The fewer things users have to worry about to create a
working xmonad.hs, the better.  From experience, when I switched my
Config.hs over to xmonad.hs, I copied over some keybindings and then had an
error that said .|. was not in scope.  Of course, I knew exactly what the
problem was and how to fix it, but someone unfamiliar with Haskell
wouldn't.  To some extent this can be ameliorated by good documentation and
examples, but on general principle I think re-exporting various useful
things from the core is probably a good idea.

-Brent