[xmonad] darcs patch: add configurable X Event handling

Devin Mullins me at twifkak.com
Tue Nov 13 09:58:52 EST 2007

On Mon, Nov 12, 2007 at 01:00:15PM -0800, David Roundy wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 12, 2007 at 02:01:26PM -0500, Devin Mullins wrote:
> > which is able to compose.) The latter; hrm... how can we have readable
> > state without a readable event hook (cleanly)?
>
> I think the two would need to go together over restart.

Wired together, yes, but is there much chance of an eventHook changing
itself? Even a toggle would contain both hooks and state about which
hook is selected. So we'd just need a way to tie the event to the state.
(By name, akin to how you serialize objects in a OOPL.)

> > I'm sold on the state thing (so long as it can be implemented cleanly),
> > and you had me at hello with the Message thing, but I haven't budged as
> > regards the Read/Show requirement.
>
> Fortunately, that last also seems to me to be the least important.  I'd
> lean towards including it, since it seems like if you introduce a
> read-failing event-hook, all you've lost is whatever was gained by
> introducing the Read/Show requirement.  So you don't lose anything by
> introducing the change (so far as I know).

Grrr. Events were very easy to do -- just intercept the call to handle.
Messages come from several places, but (the important ones?) pass
through broadcastMessage. However, unhandled Events do, too. Double
trigger seems bad.

Devin