[Xmonad] darcs patch: zombie_children

David Roundy droundy at darcs.net
Fri Nov 9 10:38:57 EST 2007

On Fri, Nov 09, 2007 at 08:51:24AM -0500, Devin Mullins wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 07, 2007 at 11:27:33AM -0800, Don Stewart wrote:
> > Yes, I actually ran into that this morning. There was a 2 second delay
> > I wasn't expecting as ghc swapped in. Maybe for we can avoid the call
> > in the unchanged xmonad.hs case, by checking stamps ourselves, rather
> > than asking ghc to do that.
>
> Couldn't we avoid the delay by making the `ghc --make` trigger on mod-q,
> rather than at initialization? I think the chances of somebody running
> xmonad for the first time with a modified config are small.

Or maybe run a full ghc --make on mod-q (rather than using our own
time-stamp check), but use the time-stamp check on startup.  It's a bit
hacky, but gives us a better recompile check on mod-q (when you might have
touched a sub-module), but quick startup time at startup.
--
David Roundy
Department of Physics