[Xmonad] darcs patch: first shot at a floating layer

David Roundy droundy at darcs.net
Thu May 31 15:27:08 EDT 2007

On Wed, May 30, 2007 at 10:53:54PM -0600, Jason Creighton wrote:
> Wed May 30 22:47:33 MDT 2007  Jason Creighton <jcreigh at gmail.com>
>   * first shot at a floating layer
>
>   This is a first attempting at a floating layer:
>
>   mod-button1: move window
>   mod-button2: swapMaster
>   mod-button3: resize window
>
>   mod-t: make floating window tiled again
>
>   Moving or resizing a window automatically makes it floating.
>
>   Known issues:
>
>   Hard to manage stacking order. You can promote a window to move it to the top,
>   (which you can do with mod-button2) but it should be easier than that.

Indeed, this is ugly, but I think the fix is easy, we just need to use the
old version of swapMaster (I don't recall its name) that moves the given
window to the top of the stack.  Then the floating layer will behave like a
normal window manager in this regard: raising a window leaves the other
windows in the same stacking order.

I hope you're thinking that once this is cleaner we can move the button
configuration out of Main and into Config? That'll make it both easier to
configure and easier to find.  And the refactor which'll be needed should
also help with other features like adding tabs, either to float windows or
to a tiled workspace with tabbed layout.

I'm with dons on the question of reorganization, a bit flag to indicate the
float layer is just ugly.  And I still hope someday to be able to refactor
the float layer out of xmonad entirely and into XMonadContrib.  We may not
want this refactor to actually happen, but I think the code should be
structured such that it can be done--it'll make for cleaner code and a more
powerful interface.
--
David Roundy
Department of Physics