[Xmonad] darcs patch: Windows on multiple workspaces

Donald Bruce Stewart dons at cse.unsw.edu.au
Sat May 26 04:43:37 EDT 2007

bobstopper:
> Sat May 26 17:16:17 JST 2007  Rob <bobstopper at bobturf.org>
>   * Windows on multiple workspaces
>   Previously, it was a invariant that a window will never have duplicates
>   in the stackset.
>
>   This invariant has been removed and replaced with the invariant that a
>   window will never have duplicates in a stack. It may have duplicates
>   appear in other stacks. This makes it possible to have DWM style tagging.

Right.

>   Other than adjusting insertLeft and delete/deleteAll to allow for duplicates
>   in the stackset, support must be made for xinerama. The xinerama support is
>   designed as follows:

>   1. The current screen always has all windows showing. This ensures that focus
>   (only meaningful on the current screen) will not need to be changed

Ok.

>   2. non-current visible screens have all windows showing which are not already
>   showing on windows to the screen's "left" (defined as screens with lower
>   ordered identifiers).

Ok. I see. That seems a reasonable behaviour.

>   This functionality has been placed in a new visibleOnScreen function which
>   returns the windows visible on a screen given the above rules. The refresh and
>   hide functions in Operations have been adjusted to use this new function to
>   ensure windows are displayed sanely.

And QuickCheck properties for it too, please.

Just a quick note:

We're in feature freeze till 0.2 is tagged in a few days. Bug fixes
and QC properties and docs only till then (we'd also accept any
changes to contrib modules). So patches providing new features or
changing the current behaviour won't be applied.

After the release, we'll talk again about this, and a couple of
other things on the list to do.

-- Don